Monday, November 10, 2008

Types of Planning To Use

There are four different styles or types of planning that I use. It is the combination of these four planning phases that help me achieve my best results possible.

Backdating
Let's say that you have a major project that you need to get done in the text several months, something like a special event, a major project around the house or a sales campaign, you need to have a plan. Taking time to think through all the different things that need to happen can help you solidify the project path in your mind, can help you identify critical items and dates, and can help you see how this big project is just a series of smaller items that need to take place over a period of time.

Monthly Planning
At the beginning of each month I sit down and review the goals I have set for both my professional and my personal life. I section off a piece of paper and of paper into blocks and write the title of goals that I need to work on that month at the top of each block. I then list out the key 3 - 5 items that need to happen that month to achieve that goal. These can be broader tasks that will be broken up into actionable items when I get to my weekly and daily planning. Make sure that you have read every one of your professional goals (yes that means that they are written down) and your personal goals.

Weekly Planning
Weekly planning is where the rubber meets the road. This is where you are going to identify the action items that are going to lead your to your goal achievement. I do this planning at the same time every week. For me the best time for this process is bright and early on Monday morning, sometime betwen 5:00 and 6:30 AM. You should pick a time that will work well for you, maybe Friday afternoon before you leave the office, or Sunday night will work better for you. The key is to pick a time and be consistent. I will be writing a future entry all about weekly planning because it is one of the most important processes. The weekly plan identifies the tasks you are going to commit to doing this week and schedules the into your schedule along with all you appointments.

Daily Planning
Daily planning is a quick and fast review of how your weekly plan is shaping up for the day. This process should only take 10 to 15 minutes if you completed the weekly planning. You review the tasks you have on your plan, look at any new priorties that have been throwen at you by a supervisor or client, and re-prioritize your work for the day. Identifying what is important and setting priorities are very important here. Your daily plan will serve as your road map for the day and keep you on track as you deal with multiple interuptions and unplanned obstacles.

If you have not used a planning method in the past you may think this seams like a lot of time spent on planning. The great thing about planning is that the time you spend planning will come back to you four fold. You will work with greater clarity, work on what is important, know what is coming up and what you can commit to as others ask you to take on more projects. I truely believe that doing weekly planning every single week probably saves me 3 - 5 hours a week. In one year that is 256 hours or 6.5 work weeks that I can spend working on other projects, spending time with my family or riding my mountain bike. That sounds like a Peak Achievement I can handle.

Over the next couple of posts I will be discussing the specifics of some of these planning steps and providing you with more thoughts and tools to get more out of your planning session.

No comments: