Saturday, November 15, 2008

Identify Your Roles and Achieve Greater Ballance

One of the fundamental parts of my planning is the identification of the roles that I choose to serve and participate in. Life is not simple, we have many priorities that we have to juggle. Even at work, most of us have multiple projects or goals that we are having to work on at any one time. Throw on top of that all the things that you have to do at home, for family and your community involvement and you have a very complex life to plan.

In selecting your roles, you are identifying those areas of your life that you are going to make a priority now. Think about the key areas or goals you have in your life that are important to you and right them down.

For example I have a variety of different goals at roles at work. I am responsible for the team achievement of our sales goal, I am responsible for helping develop staff and I have a primary role in developing and implementing our communication plan to clients. Each and everyone of the work roles has something that I need to do each week to achieve the year end goal that I wish to achieve.

In addition to my roles at work, I am also a father, husband, soccer coach (for part of the year), a homeowner and I am involved in the community. Each of these are as important to me as my work and I have to make sure that I plan the needs of these roles into my week. If you only set up the roles that you have at work, and ignore the personal roles that are important to you, you are creating stress in your life. I believe that this is what "workaholics" do, they are only able to focus on work items and never learn the skill of life planning.

Take some time and think about the roles you want to have in your life. What things are important to you, and require your attention to maintain in a positive way. What goals are you wanting to achieve. Write down a list of roles, then we will look at the use of roles in planning your life for Peak Achievement!

No comments: